While reading blogs the other morning in bed with my tea, I came across this intriguing method of mono printing. I've always admired Alicia Burke's style and how she paints with such abandon and exuberance. While I have a somewhat loose style, I find it hard to really let go, so I was intrigued with a tutorial she gave on plastic bag mono printing.
I have a couple of projects in mind which is why I used a heavy canvas and my colors did not print as distinctly as hers. I'm sure if I'd used paper or plain cotton, I would have gotten brighter results.
This is after a first layer. Very plain.
I wasn't sure I liked where it was going so I started to add layers of green with leaf shapes drawn into them. Still wasn't sure but I kept layering.
Then I changed to adding a layer with black flowers and finally a layer with purple flowers.
I didn't clean the Baggie off in between either. I used my fingers to rub with.
This is what the Baggie looks like after applying it. I just kept adding paint and drawing into it again. It was really fun!
Here is the finished canvas. It will make a fun background for some stitching.
I think I had more fun with this than even printing with the Gelli. Definitely going to try it again!