Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Gelli prints for little bags



We’ve had a spectacular, if a little too hot, weekend here; at least we were able to get cooled in the water. Sunday we went to my in laws at the beach and had a lovely swim.
Yesterday, we packed up lunches and the kayaks and drove about 1 1/2 hrs to Mount Carlton near the Center of the province. The highest peak in the maritimes is there as well as great hiking trails, but we went to kayak the Nictau Lake that has a little island where I love to swim. We hadn’t been in a couple of years.




It’s about a 45min paddle when conditions are good and they were.



We dock on the other side where the rocks are lower and have our lunch there. 
Jumping off the rock is exhilarating and reminds me of summer days at the lake when I was young — even if I can’t go as high.



Water is so enticing to me. I not only want to look at it, I want to be in it!



Even hubby joins in although he doesn’t jump not being a strong a swimmer. He enjoys it just the same.

This was the view before we started.





Meanwhile,  I’m still working on my sea life piece. After fusing on some foreground shells and rocks and adding some Inktense it’s ready for more thread stitching and embellishing. I had just enough time at the end of a sewing session on a different project to thread the machine and start on the pink seaweed.



On the long weekend in between outdoor adventures, I cut and bordered a Gelli print from my stash. I had the urge to sew up a couple small zippered bags like I do every so often.


One half had a small white blob that I doctored a bit using a light blue fabric paint and the end of a thread spool. It picks up the blue in the small striped border.



There’s often some way to fix those spots you don’t like.

After my gym workout and lunch, I started free motion outlining with black thread, a look I go to a lot.



I got both parts done, cut out the backs plus interfacing, and the lining and quilted the backs as well.



I’m ready now to move onto the zippers and construction.
In my evening hours I’m working on a second double stranded crocheted ripple afghan with totally different colors.  I had so much fun doing the first that I had to start another.



The rest of the week is fairly quiet except for a hair appointment and the gym so I expect to get a bit more sewing/printing done.

4 comments:

PaintedThread said...

What a beautiful view. I like your sea life quilt. Pretty colors!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

That calm water view is just lovely, Holly...as is your work

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Seeing all that beautiful water makes me wish I knew how to swim! Can't wait to see your finished bags - the colours look wonderful.

Jo said...

It is so fun to jump in the water like when we were kids! We use to swim and canoe all day at the lake. We still take the time to swim and now kayak but I think we do more reading time.
Love your gelli print bags. May need to make me some this winter.
Thanks for sharing!
Jo