Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Finished tote bag, new quilt, thread painting

For some time I’ve wanted to make a quilt of softer colors for the my bedroom. The majestic mountains pattern is one I’ve liked for a while  too. I’m using the tutorial by Bonnie Hunter. I couldn’t wait to try a few sample squares to get the idea. The blocks aren’t sewn together yet.


I cut about half of the squares that I'll need. I'm going for a more neutral look, a sort of 'low volume' look so I may remove the few darker ones.



Yesterday, during the snow storm I also finished the tote bag except for slip stitching it closed and top stitching along the top edge.


I am planning a small reno here in my studio. I have my 2 machines set up along the outside wall. since it's such a small room -- about 9+ ft by 10ft-- I can't do much else in the room except sit at my computer just opposite.



Beside the computer space is a closet full of fabrics and a few other quilting supplies. the pain is to remove the wall, install cabinets across the top, and extend the counter all the way across making room for my 2nd sewing machine on the right. I would have room fro a couple of IKEA cabinets below.
This would allow me to remove the desk in the opposite corner making room for an armchair for hand work.
The second phase would involve installing a second window which would make it more like a sunroom and give me a better view.

The sun is shining this afternoon; however, besides shovelling the front steps and walk, I opted to stay in as its pretty slippery after the storm yesterday.

I've been stitching on this fall/winter scene. It's almost ready to have the large birch trees added.


I'm linking to the Needle and Thread Network.

http://needleandthreadnetwork.blogspot.ca/2018/01/wip-wednesday-323-tn.html

2 comments:

Susan Sawatzky said...

I love those soft colors. Very different from the one I'm working on right now for my bed. It fairly SHOUTS, it is so bright.

Susan in Port Townsend, WA

Mystic Quilter said...

Good to see you've made a start on Mountain Majesties, I enjoyed making my quilt with this pattern.
Your studio renovations sound exciting, hope you'll post progress as you go along.