Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Gloomy days are meant to be inside creating

I didn't think I'd be posting about anything today. I had little sleep last night, it's been raining steadily most of the day, and I thought I might give myself permission to put on a movie this afternoon and do some knitting. I was feeling a little sorry for myself this morning, more than usual, mostly it's a few minutes in the morning until I get myself moving and involved in my day.

I got myself moving finally about mid morning and after tidying up a bit, I wandered into my studio and started piecing the blocks for my bed cushion. Out of curiosity, I timed my progress. Mind you, I move very slowly. It took about an hour and a half to put together all 16 squares which I had previously cut from a drapery sample book. Also, I zigzagged the seams as some of the sample fabrics were thin and frayed easily.

I then cut a batting and backing fabric as I plan to do stitch in the ditch quilting.

All the while, I had the window cracked open so I could listen to the falling rain. The gloom may have affected my mood this morning, but the sound of the rain was really calming.

I've finished with the piecing of this and it's also batted and ready for some simple quilting. Echo quilting in matching colors around the motifs, I think.

That was satisfying! I've been biding my time, waiting until I could get projects moved along so I could start on another one.

I collected and organized all the thin strips that got trimmed when I pieced the sun prints.

I had a piece of background fabric cut with a piece of thin piece of Mistyfuse ironed to the right side. I didn't like the sheen on the fusible so I applied a thin coat of paint.

Bear in mind that this is completely experimental. I'm playing 'what if.' While I have an idea of where I want to go, I'm totally unsure if it'll work.

My next step was to cut points into the green, simulating a garden.

Then I started trimming and laying on some of the green strips.

Is it saying tangled garden to you?

At this point since I'd been sewing and then standing quite a while, I decided I'd better take a break. Which is why I'm now sitting and writing this post.

 

4 comments:

Dolores said...

You've been quite busy this morning already. Sit back, have a cup of tea/coffee and admire your work. Good going. I have stuff to do but I've not moved on any of them yet. I do have a list though.

Mystic Quilter said...

Definitely saying tangled garden and I love it!!! I too love to listen to the rain falling, certainly whilst I'm tucked up inside. I,m pleased that you were able to prepare your fusion, calming colours too.
Do you find it therapeutic do work on a little organisation of supplies when you're not feeling too good - I do, but don't know why!!

Mereknits said...

Hope you are feeling lighter now Holly. I hate those gloomy days were you feel a bit sad and overwhelmed.
Hugs,
Meredith

Anonymous said...

I love how your "experiment" is coming along. I also like the tip about zigzagging the seams. I'll have to try that one. I think echo quilting will work beautifully. I think it's a victory, every time we start slowly but still manage to accomplish something that we're happy with. You should feel victorious.