Thursday, October 31, 2013

Happy Halloween

My Halloween treat bowl is full; it's been pretty quiet. I've usually had about 50 young ones by this time of day and so far I've had one. I took the time to get out for a walk earlier.
Despite the satisfying finish of my quilt top earlier in the week, this second half has been a little frustrating. I was anxious to get back to my fiber art Fantasy Garden piece to try out some free motion stitching with my new machine. I tested it when I bought it but with regular cotton thread. When I switched to my specialty threads such as a metallic or the heavier Superior thread, it wouldn't work at all. I don't mean acting up a bit either. The needle wouldn't even pick up the bobbin thread. After exhausting every conceivable problem, I switched to a finer rayon thread, which I got working although it would sometimes skip and break. I'm hoping to talk to a Pfafff rep tomorrow before I take it back in to the dealer where I bought it.
Today, I got out my old basic Pfaff, threaded it and got to work. Admittedly the rayon and polyester threads threads can be tricky, but I use them regularly with my older machines.
I'm pretty happy with some parts of this piece, especially the white raised areas that have become quite raised with the heavy quilting around them.
  got most of the quilting done except for a few small areas.
One area I'm not really happy with is the moon. I'm feeling as though I'd like to pick out the rings but I think the needle holes would show. Perhaps with some final quilting and some added beading it will be better. I'll look with a fresh eye tomorrow.
. Since tomorrow I'll be out most of the day and Saturday is a guild UFO day where I'll be working on Christmas gifts, I likely won't get back to it for a couple of days.

 Hopefully, with the warmer weather predicted for the weekend, we'll get a little more yard work done. It's time to put away the concrete birdbath, get out the heated one for the deck rail, tie up some trees and maybe do a bit of raking.
Have a nice Friday and a great weekend!





5 comments:

Pauline said...

OMG!! Thats beautiful:)

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

nice piece Holly...quiet here tonight too. We don't get a lot of children now; but it's too quiet!! I still have a couple of plants I want to move before the ground freezes...maybe this weekend????

Watercolour and Textile Artist, Eileen Gidman said...

Sorry you had such a frustrating time with your machine. When things don't operate right, it sure can curb creativity.

elle said...

How frustrating, Holly. I just picked up my machine yesterday and she had a serious thread snarl in her innards and judging by the colour it was a long time ago. So no wonder she hasn't been impressing me! ;)

Chris said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.