Friday, April 10, 2020

Knitting, collage, masks, seeds and a quilt

I’ve just put my feet up to give my back a break from the sewing machine. All week I’ve been sewing (struggling) with face masks. First, I started with a template pattern with 6 pieces. I made a few with both elastic and fabric ties. The fabric ties seemed best, the masks were labour intensive, and they didn’t seem to fit the best. My husband’s wouldn’t stay up. They’re at the back below.



Then I switched to a simple rectangular pleated one which went much more quickly. I stream lined the process after a few tips from a friend and added t shirt ties which seem best for us. I’m using either pipe cleaners or some wire I found doubled, ends curled and wrapped with floral tape. Amazing what I found in my boxes, lol.

Today I cut out 5 more and got them about half done.



I’ll finish them this weekend and hubby is going to send it all off by Purolator on Monday. I also have a box with baby gifts in which I’ll include some masks.
Baby Gus is about 10 days old . It’s bittersweet -  breaks my heart and gives me joy all at the same time. 






I’m sure there are many of you going through similar things. I’m very thankful everyday for all that we have - a house and a yard that where we can get out. We are lucky. At times, as I’m sure you may, I have anxious moments, as I have immune issues, take immune suppressing drugs and have limited capacity lungs. I’m doing my best to eat right, to get exercise and to  stay positive. My husband dies any errands but strictly those with limited contact. We order our groceries on line and pick them up and wash everything. It’s becoming the new norm although sometimes I wonder when I might wake up.

Here’s his big brother Ollie at a similar age, maybe a bit older.



He’s very taken with Gussie, wanting to hold, feed, and play with him whenever he awakens.



My quilt is still waiting for me on the ironing board. 



I have a few rows to add which I will get to as soon as the masks are all done.

After my lunch today, I also made time to get back to some collage play.



It doesn’t ‘sing’ to me but they’re always fun and relaxing to do. I think it may lead me on a bit in a new direction,



 At night I like my mindless knitting. I’ve got another small afghan on the needles. I’m kind of wishing I’d started it with more stitches as I think it’s quite pretty.



This pattern I purchased on line and downloaded. It’s definitely for  those time’s when I’m more focused like sitting on the deck on a sunny afternoon. I’m using two strands of sock weight yarn. 



Earlier this week, I started some seeds for the garden, some flowers and vegetables.



The mesclun mix is up and showing in the central pot. I also started marigolds, kale, tomatoes, Swiss chard, peppers, and a few different squashes and zucchini. I’ve just realized that I won’t have herbs as I usually buy the plants so I think I’ll send for some seeds.



The little pack on my studio window ledge are zinnias. Maybe I’ll also order more flowers as I may not get to garden centers this year.

I hope you’re all coping and finding ways to to relax or occupy yourself or your family. 💕

No comments: