Friday, January 6, 2017

More Gelli printing

We've had beautiful winter days here recently (except for the snow day Wednesday) and I've been trying to get out and enjoy it before my shoulder surgery next week. At the same time I've beeen trying to get some of the I deas out of my head while as well as cleaning up my studio space a bit. Yesterday, I had my pre op tests and then I went snow shoeing with my snow shoe buddy who I haven't been out with for some time. Is it any wonder why I love birch groves so much? Sometimes the soft quality of the gray sky that is lightly lightly glowing with pastel is even prettier than a blue one.
When I've had time, I've been cutting strips and sewing them onto four monoprints.
It has changed even some since this photo. I've just packed it up for our guild UFO day tomorrow as I'd like to get it together before Tuesday. As if that wasn't enough I've squeezed in a little more Gelli printing. For some time, I've been thinking about trying out layering the prints as I do them onto one larger piece of cotton-- both the print and it's ghost print. It may seem like a no brainer for some but it really was a bit experimental for me.
I liked the one above the best. I took it a bit further by printing some green fern leaves on top.
I used natural light for the second photo but The colors are a little more intense in the pic than in reality. Maybe because of the lateness of the day. I'll have it up on my design wall while I recuperate so I can think about how to proceed. I'll probably use my usual black free motion outlining to start. I'd also like to incorporate more hand stitching than I've done of late. Maybe I'll be inspired to hand quilt the whole piece. I'll have lots of time to decide. I've saved the best for last. My new little grand son, Ollie. About 6 weeks.
Have a great weekend! I may not get back here for a couple weeks depending on recovery.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

Love your fibre art Holly. Wishing you a speedy recovery from your surgery.

Jo Vandermey said...

Hope your surgery goes well. It is hard to put our work on hold when things you are sidelined.
I really like the image of the layered monoprints. It will be interesting to see how it develops.

Mystic Quilter said...

Wishing you well with your surgery and a speedy recovery!

Anonymous said...

Here's to hoping this surgery is as successful as your hip was. Take care of yourself and heal quickly.