Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Playing with Gelli prints and free motion stitching

I've been feeling a bit scattered and frazzled lately even though I do work at trying to stay relaxed and focused. This week I'm a little more grounded. I've simply stayed home, eating good food, and doing what I love, being aware of my need to take breaks.

My sun print piece is almost where I want it to be, so it's a matter of putting it all together.

I'm letting it rest on the design wall while I play with s few Gelli prints from last fall.

These ones were deemed a little less than 'perfect' and I de idea to chop them up and have some fun fre motion stitching.

The one above and below is made with a piece of a dried astilbe that I printed onto an already printed Gelli background.

To take something that at first doesn't seem what I'd hoped for and then have fun with it is satisfying. Even better is to make them into some little projects that I will use for gifts.

I'm making needle cases.

Here are the insides of two more ready to go.

Besides playing in my studio, I hung out a line of clothes, packaged up a piece of artwork for mailing, and managed a 12 minute walk to check the mail.

I even tried a 16 minute Qi gong sequence that I found on the net. I think it would work well for me with the osteoarthritis as it seems easy on the joints. It's more of a workout than it looks as well. I wish there was someone here in town that taught it.

A good day.

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my...oh my...oh my...they're absolutely stunning.

Mystic Quilter said...

These fabric pieces make wonderful backgrounds for your thread stitching. I especially like the purple/green piece. It's a matter of pacing isn't it with the arthritis!

Sophie said...

They look so complicated. Wonderful combination of colors. The textures urge me to touch them.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Wow,,,,they are so neat Holly

MILLY said...

You have made some amazing patterns , love the colours combinations and added stitching. Your sewing cases look lovely.
At my old tai chi class we always did fifteen minutes of Qi gong sequences, it does give you such benefits to your joints and the slow breathing to the movements. The teacher recommended it every day, a great start to the day, something to do sitting down if standing is hard. Hope it helps you feel better.

Mereknits said...

I hope you are feeling much more centered now Holly. I have had a crazy week, so today was all about just having a nice time.
I went to an art show with a friend and enjoyed everyone's talent so much.
Hugs,
MEredith