Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Keeping creatively busy

It’s interesting to see how much one gets done when in self isolation at home. Mind you some things get done out of a sense of anxiousness. Once I put the music on though and get going, I can relax. I’m having more time to write my blog, so why not, it might give someone some ideas or even just a bit of relief to see what another is doing. Things being so uncertain, (it really seems almost sci fi-ish doesn’t it?) it can’t hurt to have a little reading and hopefully some inspirational pics.
Today, I simmered a couple of ham bones that I’d frozen to make ham and split pea soup, a comforting meal. It’s simmering now and it smells so good.



Once everything is cooked soft, I’ll use the immersion blender on it and add the ham bits back in. Maybe a nice Irish soda bread will go nicely with it.

This is a fast and easy baby quilt of which I put the last few blocks together this morning. I always disbelieve those who say you can make a quilt in an afternoon because I’m oh so slow but this really is fast to do. These blocks finish at 7 1/2”. The center rectangles are 3 1/2” by 7 1/2” and the side bars in the grey polka dot ate 2 1/2” by 7 1/2”. 



There is a larger version of this pattern so you could scale it up. 

As I was putting away the leftover scraps I got distracted in the scrap bin. I grabbed a few pieces and crazy patch sewed them onto a scrap of ironing board fabric. It’s a potholder that finishes at about 8”.  I’ll add a backing envelope style and a little loop hanger.



Then at lunch I continued cutting a few more paper stencils, something I started yesterday. This is the collage I did then.



Today’s cutting. Of course it takes a little time to get the hang if it; I think kids could have fun with it too.




I’ll save these along with other scrap paper in a box for some collage play later.






It would be interesting to cut some from freezer paper so I could use them as a stencil on fabric or paper.

As handwork when I put my feet up, I’ll be working on adding hand embellishing to Ferns and Lace.







So hopefully, I’ve provided a little distraction, a little eye candy and maybe some inspiration. 💜




No comments: