Monday, December 16, 2019

A quiet week of little things

There’s not much artwork going on this week as I’m committed to trying to have a relaxing week attending to body and soul by spending more quiet time with my knitting and getting exercise. This morning, I mixed up cereals for the nuts and bolts mix, went out to pick up a couple of spices that I needed and when I went to make it at lunch time, discovered that I was almost out of Worcestershire sauce. I wasn’t heading back out so I covered it until tomorrow.



So....I couldn’t cross that one off the list. At least I picked up a ham which I will bake one day this week and I’ll slice it and freeze it to take away to my daughters.
On the weekend, I made gingerbread cookies to take with us. As part of my concession to taking it easier this year, I used little tubes of purchased decorating gel. Why not. They’re meant to be colourful more for the kids (and kids at heart) than the adults.





I also picked my little treat for supper as my husband is away for the week.



I took my tea to the studio this afternoon where I watched a quilting show and finished this little teddy bear that had been languishing in a corner.



I’ve got a few things - knitted blankets, the teddy, and a few toiletries items I’ll add to it - for the local women’s shelter.



It looks lovely out there but it’s about -7C with a strong windchill factor. An inside kind of day. I spent some time cutting tiny highlights for the berries and stitching them on. Picky work.



My goal this week in between some Christmas preparations is to finish the thread painting on the birches and quilt it, or at least get it batted and ready to go. I’m slow but persistent, having to take breaks to put heat on my back. That means I can grab a tea and write a post.

I ordered a little Christmas gift for myself. It looks very creative and full of lots of doodling inspiration.




I imagine some of  you, my readers, will be in the thick of shopping and preparations this week. I’m hoping you can find little ways to slow down and simplify; we don’t need all those gifts, do we. Take some moments to soothe your soul in whatever you like to do. Music, a good book, knitting, decorating, getting outside.

Happy holidays!

No comments: