Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Sketching water birds on fabric

It’s been over a week since I spent any time in my studio. The pain from my 2 pinched nerves has increased and I’m either in a pain med induced stupor with little desire to do anything or too sore to sit at machine or table. 

The hot muggy weather is here too; it is rumbling thunder out there right now. I’m hoping for enough rain for the gardens. I picked a few things this morning - yellow beans, sugar snap peas and a yellow squash and I think I’ll do a simple stir fry with sausage for supper if I can mange it.




When our grandson was here, he spied this little creamer up high on a shelf, calling it a mini teapot, which I thought was cute.



During the day I’ve even resorted to some tv, stretching out with my knitting when I can’t handle anything else. To date, I finished 3 baby afghans. The one on the left is knit from leftover yarn from my stash. I love to knit no brainer while watching tv, especially when I’m not very focused.




Last night, again with leftovers, I started afghan #4 using a basket weave pattern this time.





Just for variety, I’m also knitting a top down baby sweater.



I did make it to the studio for a little while after lunch. I painted the 2 sea birds, maybe common terns, perhaps a mom and juvenile, using Neaocolor II crayons and fabric medium. Then, I backed them with interfacing and did a free motion stitching. They stayed there unbothered as I paddled by in my kayak, chattering at each other while bobbing along.




I carefully cut them out with small scissors after stitching. Folowing success using this method last winter to do the chickadees on the wintry background, I decided to try it here.



The blue is showing more grey than in reality but you get the idea. The plan is to paint a sky. I’m not sure about the water yet. I wish I had a hand dye that would suit; maybe I will also try a painted ocean. We’ll see.

I’m just happy to have been able to paint and sew a wee bit today and here’s hoping I won’t pay later.

Oh boy, the thunder is rolling around with lightning and I got my wish for rain.this could mean cooler weather finally moving in. Yippee.

No comments: