Thursday, May 28, 2020

Heat

We went from snowfall warnings a few weeks ago to a heat wave this week. I’m resisting putting most of my seeds and plants in because it’s usually not save until the first week in June. I have a few things in the raised bed as we cover it with plastic at night.



It seems there are quite a few perennials that did nit survive the winter. Ones that I’ve had for years like the clematis at my apple tree. I think something may have gotten to the main stalk. I planted a new one this morning.



.The garden by the deck is ready to plant the climbing beans and peas and tomatoes but I think I must wait a bit.



I keep walking around and checking for hostas. They seem to be coming, some just sprouting now but it seems some of the ferns are dead. Parts of the back of the yard were still frozen last week.
I potted up one pot for the front step because I can keep it protected.



The wee greenhouse on the deck keeps everything warmer at night. The hanger planter below right is made from one of the church lights I picked up at an antique store. We fixed up one for inside and I’m using the second as a planter. There are tiny solar lights wrapped around it which I think will look pretty when the flowers go in. 



We have a small yard, nothing fancy; it’s just enough for us though. My husband is a golfer although he does help me a lot and I am arthritis. The little bits keep me moving and happy.

After lunch as it was too warm for me to read on the deck, I came into my studio. I’ve been snipping out bits of fireweed from painted fusible that I want to add to my printed and quoted piece.



I really find the cutting very relaxing. I must think of more ways to use this method.



I’m not 100% happy with the latest piece that I’m doing. Maybe it’s more my mood than the actual piece. I sat at the machine anyway to get the quilting mostly done so I can move on. It reminds me of the old adage ‘fake it til you make it’. I think I will be generally happy once I’m done.



Usually, I’m anxious to move on to another piece; so far though I’m not sure what. I have a few ideas but I’m feeling generally lethargic. It will come.





Also, on the design wall is the woodland animals quilt which is getting there. I’ve got more than half together at the top and last night I worked on the small section lower left.



It, and my majestic mountains quilt will both need borders and then I’ll send them off to the machine quilter.  I will have to find another project to keep me busy with mindless sewing. I’m waiting for a small fabric order and we will see. Shipping for some things is taking so long.

I hope things are loosening and brightening in your part of the world. We are slowly reopening although  with setbacks here in northern NB. I’ve been out only to outdoor garden centres and have a hair appointment for tomorrow. My doctors are cautioning us to stay as isolated as possible for some time.

Thank goodness for the warm sun, the growing gardens and greener vistas.


No comments: