Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Plant pressing, a Halloween wall hanging, sandpipers

My husband is away this week and things are pretty relaxed here. I finally got in for the spinal injection last Friday. It took about 1.5 hours including recovery time and I felt relief within the first hour. Within days I was walking longer, with my poles, and I’ve been out collecting more plant material to press in old phone books for printing projects in winter.



Wild asters



These are delicate and I’m not sure what they are. If I use them, I’ll attempt to find out. They were gathered along the woods trail.

J



I’m still looking for a few more although my stack of books is pretty full. My husband has more away work in the next while so maybe I will get to do some printing.

I also finished this tea towel which I was using in a gift and can now show. I made the gift bag to match.



This is a small table which I picked up at a yard sale for $5 and that I’m painting white. It’s solid wood, maple I believe. My daughter was looking for something that would fit beside the bed in their new bedroom in the house they just moved into. A lucky find I think.



I’ve really slowed down this summer whiling away my days with not much in the way of art. At least not my usual. I haven’t been sketching since early summer until yesterday except for drawing out the pipers and my sea birds.




Today, I put homemade beans in the slow cooker; I haven’t had them for ages. To cut the sugar content I used half blackstrap molasses and I used coconut palm sugar. They are delicious.




After my knitting group today, something else I haven’t been to all summer, I needed a short no brainer time filler and so cut a few pieces for a Halloween wall hanging.






Working on my own artwork often involves more time and concentration something I’ve not had as much of lately.  There've been a lot of appointments and tests. I’m trying to take the days as they come, not putting too much pressure on myself to work as much in the studio as I did. When I’m inspired and when I feel up to it, I go. I find that I’m easily stressed as I age and as I have medical challenges so I’m working on letting go a little. I’d still like to stay connected and will keep posting when I can.

I’m off now to have a plate of those beans.

No comments: