Monday, May 11, 2015

Getting back ijnto the groove

We were away on the weekend for my daughter's graduation from UPEI. She had been teaching for 3 and half years in S Korea and really wanted to get her BEd to improve her salary and job prospects. It's not so easy to come home and go back to school at 30. We are so happy for her.


She and her boyfriend both graduated from the same class. I think they may stay on the Island for a while to get the experience they need. Already, Caley has been called for 2 substitute days. She has been told that her French will mean she may be in demand. Last Friday, (she had just finished her practicum) she got called for junior high sewing class. And she sews which was another bonus. Apparently a lot of young people don't.

We came home very late on Saturday night, so yesterday was a recuperation day. I had a nice visit with a lot of family members and even managed a bit of shopping. Can you believe it, my husband wanted to give me a certificate for a massage; I told him I'd rather have some art supplies. I've been wanting to try gouache paints for a while. I got those along with a couple of soluble pencils and a sketchbook with a cork cover that I could nor resist.

And then came home to hear from mu youngest son that he had called in a gift certificate art the local spa for me.


Today, I went outside to start a bit of my gardening. We still have one patch of snow and the earth in the  compost bin is still frozen-- I managed to get a small load from it for some rhubarb that I transplanted to a sunnier location.

After lunch, I ironed some pieces of new fabric that I washed this morning and then I cut and sewed a sample block. A few years ago I  collected some fabric and not gotten around to using  it. I'm thinking that my mom might like it even though I've already done one for her.

I'll likely leave it packed up for my guild quilting days next fall. I like to work on my fiber art most days here at home, but once in a while I like a little easy diversion and today was one of those days. It measures about 12 1/4". I have a few different prints in the line which I will use in the 2 largest sections. The square and the thinner strip will be blues and greens.




2 comments:

Dolores said...

Congratulations to your daughter and her boyfriend. Yep, French is definitely a big plus when it comes to the teaching profession. It's never to late to go back to school - trust me.
Have fun using your new art supplies.

Mereknits said...

Congrats to your daughter, she is quite an amazing young woman to go back to school and get her degree. Happy Mother's Day a few days late.
Hugs,
Meredith